Skip to content Skip to navigation


Banner image featuring an Oak tree, Jasper Ridge. Credit Linda A. Cicero / Stanford News Service


Sidebar banner that reads "Student Support" in JPG format.

Sharing a Concern

If you're concerned about an undergraduate student, contact a residential staff member or submit a referral. If you can't find a staff member and need help right away, call 650.505-3682. Residence Deans are here to help you.

So, what happens when you tell someone about a student concern?

Working with the University

  • Our priority when responding to a reported concern is to care for our students and the larger residential community.  
  • Student staff and on-call deans value student privacy but are campus security authorities (i.e., mandatory reporters) for the purposes of certain crimes or threats of certain crimes* and must report certain information to the Clery Compliance Coordinator. There are confidential resources outside of Residential Education.
  • We will listen to your concern, ask questions and  take action to provide necessary support. 

Wrapping Things Up 

  • After managing an acute concern, we will follow up with the individual who shared the concern. We will not share private student information.
  • We will follow up with any relevant staff and students to ensure that there is clarity on the process and an understanding of next steps.

*For complete information about Campus Security Authority (CSA) responsiblities and the incidents that must be reported, please consult the Stanford University's annual Safety, Security, and Fire Report

*To access the Dean's Leave of Absence Refferal Form, please click here.

For Undergraduate Crisis Support

If you are in a crisis and need immediate assistance, a Dean On Call (DOC) is accessible 24/7 via phone call at 650-504-8022. The DOC is responsible for providing immediate support, resources, and referrals to undergraduate students, staff, and faculty during a crisis and in emergency situations.  The DOC is both supportive and administrative to assist with the following: providing on-site response in a time of crisis, connecting with medical care or student counseling, reporting a crime, receiving/addressing concerns about a student, and connecting students to resources to meet their needs.