Main content start
Here you'll find information detailing the process of applying for pre-assignment.
1. Confirm Your Eligibility
In order to apply for pre-assignment, a student:
- Must be an enrolled undergraduate student — or an undergraduate student on an approved leave of absence — and be eligible for registration in the Autumn Quarter for which they are applying. Students who will be studying abroad in Autumn Quarter are not eligible for pre-assignment.
- Must be eligible to live in undergraduate housing and have at least 1 quarter of guaranteed undergraduate housing remaining.
- Must not confer their undergraduate degree before Autumn Quarter.
- Students with co-terminal status may apply for pre-assignment if they will not confer their undergraduate degree before Autumn Quarter and they meet all of the other criteria for pre-assignment, including having at least 1 quarter of guaranteed undergraduate housing remaining.
- Must be free of any holds on their student record that would preclude them from being pre-assigned to the house.
- Must apply for Pre-Assignment and provide any required supplemental documentation by the stated application deadline
- Must be willing to forfeit participation in the House and Room Selection process.
- Cannot accept a placement as a residential student leader for the upcoming academic year. Students who are not selected as residential student leaders are welcome and encouraged to apply to pre-assign, as residential student leader selection takes place before Pre-Assignment .
2. Review the Policies
- Students are only permitted to apply to one theme house per process year.
- Students can simultaneously apply for pre-assignment and go through the OAE process to request housing accommodations due to a documented medical/disability need. If accepted for pre-assignment, and your medical accommodation can be met in the house without undue hardship, you will be accommodated within the house.
- By applying for Pre-Assignment, students acknowledge they will be placed in the house they applied for if selected. If a student is selected for a pre-assigned spot in a house, they are automatically assigned to that house, and they are not eligible to participate in the general housing assignments process.
- Students who pre-assign to a house are not guaranteed any particular room type, for example single, one-room double, two-room double.
- Each house designates the criteria they utilize for selecting their pre-assigned residents. You can learn more by reviewing the application website.
- Living in a University Theme House typically requires a greater commitment than if applying through the general housing assignments process. These terms and expectations are available for students to read and agree to when they are applying for housing.
- Students who are selected for pre-assignment are not eligible to live in a fraternity/sorority house for the following year, but they may join a fraternity/sorority if that fraternity/sorority allows newly recruited members to live outside their Greek house. Submitting your pre-assignment application is a binding commitment to live in that theme house for the following year if you are selected. So, if you wish to retain your eligibility to live in a fraternity/sorority house for the following year instead, you must withdraw your pre-assignment application by the submission deadline.
3. Application Process
To apply, complete and submit the online pre-assignment application for your chosen house.