Main content start
Here you'll find information detailing the process of applying for pre-assignment.
Confirm Your Eligibility
In order to apply for pre-assignment, a student must:
- Must be a registered undergraduate student -- or an undergraduate student on an approved leave of absence -- and be eligible for registration in the Autumn Quarter for which they are applying. Students who will be studying abroad in Autumn Quarter are not eligible for pre-assignment.
- Must be eligible to live in undergraduate housing and have at least 3 quarters of guaranteed undergraduate housing remaining.
- Must be free of any holds on their student record that would preclude them from being pre-assigned to the house.
- Must apply for Pre-Assignment and provide any required supplemental documentation by the stated deadline
- Must be willing to forfeit going through the house assignment process or accepting an alternate assignments-exempt student leader position.
- Cannot accept a placement as a residential student leader for the upcoming academic year. Students who are not selected as student leaders are welcome and encouraged to apply to pre-assign.
Review the Policies
- Students are only permitted to apply to one pre-assignment process below (not both):
- Academic/Ethnic Theme House process: students can apply to one theme house
- Co-Ops process: students can apply to multiple co-ops and submit a ranked list of preferences
- Students can simultaneously apply for pre-assignment and go through the OAE process to request housing accommodations due to a documented medical/disability need. If accepted for pre-assignment, and your medical accommodation can be met in the house without undue hardship, you will be accommodated within the house.
- By applying for Pre-Assignment, students acknowledge they will be placed in the house(s) they applied for if selected. If a student is selected for a pre-assigned spot in a house, they are automatically assigned to that house, and they are not eligible to participate in the general housing assignments process.
- Students who pre-assign to a house are not guaranteed any particular room type, for example single, one-room double, two-room double.
- Each house designates the criteria they utilize for selecting their pre-assigned residents. You can learn more by reviewing the application website .
- Living in a University Theme House may require a greater commitment than if applying through the general housing assignments process. These terms and expectations are available for students to read and agree to when they are applying for housing.
- Students may both apply for pre-assignment in a particular house and participate in fraternity or sorority recruitment only if they are willing to commit to live in the house to which they may be pre-assigned. Students who apply for a pre-assigned spot in a house are not eligible to live in a fraternity or sorority house for that year, but they may join a fraternity or sorority.
- To apply, complete and submit the online pre-assignment application for your chosen house.