Main content start
1. Confirm Your Eligibility
In order to apply for pre-assignment, a student must:
- Be a registered undergraduate student -- or an undergraduate student on an approved leave of absence -- and be eligible for registration in the Autumn Quarter for which they are applying. Students who will be studying abroad in Autumn Quarter are not eligible for pre-assignment.
- Have at least one year of guaranteed undergraduate housing remaining
- Be free of any holds on their student record that would preclude them from being pre-assigned to the house.
- Apply to be pre-assigned by the deadline and provide whatever documentation is required to support their application by that date.
- Be willing to forfeit going through the house assignment process or accepting an alternate assignments-exempt staff position.
- Not have accepted a placement as a residential student staff member for the 2021-22 academic year. Students not selected as staff members are welcome and encouraged to apply to pre-assign.
2. Review the Policies
- Students are only permitted to apply to one pre-assignment process below (not both):
- Academic/Ethnic Theme House process: students can apply to one theme house
- Co-Ops process: students can apply to multiple co-ops and submit a ranked list of preferences
- Students can simultaneously apply for pre-assignment and go through the OAE process to request a housing accommodation due to a documented medical/disability need. If accepted for pre-assignment, and your medical accommodation can be met in the house without undue hardship, you will be accommodated within the house.
- If a student is selected for a pre-assigned spot in a house, they are automatically assigned to that house, and they are not eligible to participate in the house assignment process.
- Note: Students who pre-assign to a house must still submit a housing application and indicate that they are pre-assigning.
- Students who pre-assign to a house are not guaranteed any particular room type, for example single, one-room double, two-room double.
- Each house designates the criteria they utilize for selecting their pre-assigned residents. You can learn more by reviewing the ResX website .
- Living in a University Theme House may require a greater commitment than if applying through the general housing assignments process. Such criteria are available for students to read and agree to when they are applying for housing.
- Students may both apply for pre-assignment in a particular house and participate in fraternity or sorority recruitment only if they are willing to commit to live in the house to which they may be pre-assigned. Students who apply for a pre-assigned spot in a house are not eligible to live in a fraternity or sorority house for that year, but they may join a fraternal or sororal organization.
3. Apply Online
- To apply, complete and submit the online pre-assignment application for your chosen house.
If you have any questions about the application process or your eligibility, please contact the Pre-Assignment Team.